Erich McElroy is an American-born stand up comedian based in the UK. In his latest show Erich McElroy Tops Trump, McElroy challenges himself to bring the fakest news to Edinburgh, in efforts to well and truly beat Donald Trump. Erich will be performing his free show in the Pravda Room at Espionage throughout August.
1) What excites you most about the Edinburgh Festival?
Other than when it’s over? At its best the combination of getting to do something I’m lucky to be able to do surrounded by the best comics in the country.
2) What was your first Edinburgh show about?
It was about my slow transition from being an American to having a British passport and identity. It’s an ongoing process, which has broken down a few times. Like Sunday train service.
3) Does your comedy attract a certain type of audience?
The BEST! Well, anyone who comes to see me is automatically the best.
4) What is the worst experience you’ve had with Edinburgh accommodation?
I’ve been pretty lucky. But I come up with my wife and two children so I spend through the nose to not have a bad experience.
5) What is your most treasured memory of your comedy career so far?
The first gig still sits with me, when one of the other open spots asked me, “Did you write all of that yourself?” It was a whole 4 1/2 minutes of material.
6) What show will you definitely be seeing at the festival this year?
Matt Forde, Jessica Fostekew, and haven’t had a chance to look at others yet.
7) What do you hope to gain from the Edinburgh Festival this year?
GLORY! And to have an audience leave happy every day.
8) What do you imagine your last ever show will be about?